TOPIC: Reasons for Confidence
TEXT: Psalm 118:5-14
5. I called upon the LORD in distress; the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place.
6. The LORD is on my side; I will not fear; what can man do unto me?
7. The LORD taketh my part with them that help me; therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.
8. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
9. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
10. All nations compassed me about; but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.
11. They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about; but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
12. They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns; for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
13. Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall; but the LORD helped me.
14. The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.
“The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?” – (Psalm 118:6)
Every day we make journeys using planes, trains, buses, cars or boats. We trust these vessels to take us to our destinations. As we journey through life, we are faced with trials and troubles which often make us to trust someone or something for help. Who or what we trust in life determines our success or failure, progress or retrogression, victory or defeat. We must trust God to guide us on earth and to our eternal destination.
The writer of this Psalm shows how much he trusted in God’s ability to guide him through the vicissitudes of life. He has the testimony of answer to prayer. Every answer to our prayer is an evidence that God is with us and we need not fear what man can do to us. He also recognised that God was fighting his every day battles so much that he needed not worry about the foes that surrounded him.
Unfortunately, there are those who magnify enemies and minimise God in their hearts. They are more conscious of their enemies than God. The psalmist in his experiences realised that “it is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes (man)”. No doubt, he had skills, courage, and strength but he did not rely on any of these for his victory. He had confidence in God’s eternal love.
God’s love is unchanging in spite of changing circumstances. Like the psalmist, no matter the challenges or battles, we should trust God for help and strength. Because of His name, love and power in our lives, we have enough reasons to go through life assured of deliverance and victory over sworn enemies.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Trust in God guarantees irreversible triumphs.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 4th May 2021 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.